Tuiles aux Amandes (Almond Tuiles)

>> Wednesday, May 18, 2011


Random Wednesday....

zero Number of wisdom teeth I have left as of last week. 

one Sensation - painful (especially when you've forgotten to buy the painkillers after the anaesthetic wears off!)

two Words - Thank you! For your lovely comments in the previous post (and sorry that some of them were removed in the recent blogger stuff up that you probably know too well). 

three Mums with blogs which I follow (and meant to have shared in the last Mother's Day post!) I don't have kids myself but I always look forward to reading what these ladies have to share.

Stefanie from Ni Hao Y'all

four Number of sewing and wrench/hammer-like tools I saw my dentist putting into my mouth. Dentists are not in my good books, y'know?

five Years since I visited Paris - I've been daydreaming about it all day today. Not that I particularly have itchy feet for traveling at the moment, but listening to Le Festin from Ratatouille makes me want to fly to there right now. 


six Things that take my breath away. 

- Andrea Bocelli's voice
- Orange sunsets
- Photographs which evoke certain emotions which cannot be put into words
- Undeserved kindness and understanding
- Running (although it's more like panting)
- Pleasant surprises (like a box with a puppy inside *hint hint*. I'm not sure who I'm hinting at sadly!)

seven Number of times I've listened to Le Festin since the beginning of this blog post. You see, I don't get bored very easily. I'm about to click replay now. 


Ok, so you don't need me to tell you that almond is good for you. Lots of vitamin E and good fats for a healthy heart. What's not to love about it? Try and have a fist sized amount of almonds a day but don't over consume them or you might have problem fitting into that pair of pants. Just being frank!

So seriously, go nuts for them!

These almond tuiles were made on a whim on a weeknight. I wanted something without too much flour and butter. Nothing too heavy. Something crispy. Something light. Something to go with a cup of tea. 

And these are the perfect answer.

I would recommend that you make these tuiles thinner than mine (as photographed) so that they'd be even crispier and bake faster. Don't be afraid to break the almond slices into small pieces too with the back of your fork.


Almond Tuiles
Adapted from Pierre Herme
Makes 25-30 (I only made 20 because mine were thicker)
  • 70g granulated sugar (I used 50g)
  • 40g egg white
  • few drops vanilla essence
  • 125g almond slices
  • 15g melted butter (around 1 tbsp)
  • 10g cake flour (around 1tbsp)
1. Combine the sugar, egg white and vanilla essence in a large bowl. Stir with a rubber spatula.


2. Add the almond slices into the bowl and mix gently as to not break the slices.

3. Add the melted butter into the mixture and stir to combine.


4. Leave this mixture at room temperature for 1 hour (remember to cover in plastic wrap!)

5. Sift the flour into the mixture and stir gently to incorporate fully. Leave this at room temperature for 30 minutes. 


6. On parchment paper (or any baking paper), spoon the almond mixture into a circle as thinly as you can, about 6cm in diameter. I made a stencil (6cm diameter) to ensure that the tuile is as round as possible.


7. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 160C.


This is probably the first time in a looong time since I didn't blog on a weekend or start of the week. So I don't have to say hope y'all have or had a good weekend.

But can I just say - I hope you smile today :)

39 comments:

grub May 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM  

hehe i was wondering how you made your tuiles to round and perfect! too bad i used all my almond slices stock ahh

lisa is cooking May 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM  

Hope you're feeling better! Your cookies look fantastic. Perfect with a cup of tea.

Ana Rita Marreiros May 19, 2011 at 1:01 AM  

What beautifull cookies!!!So perfectly made...

Kisses,
Rita

Jean May 19, 2011 at 1:31 AM  

they look so pretty...honestly i couldn't tell they are so simple to make! now i got me a little worried to remove my wisdom teeth as well =/ hahah

Cookie and Kate May 19, 2011 at 3:51 AM  

Oh my, I've never had almond tuiles, but they look incredible. I hope your mouth is feeling better! I had my wisdom teeth pulled a long time ago, and it wasn't the most pleasant of experiences.

Cate May 19, 2011 at 6:40 AM  

These looks soooo good! They look like they'd be easy to convert to gluten-free as well.

Duong May 19, 2011 at 7:10 AM  

I smiled when I read your blog. Plus I'm now looking forward to the weekend when I can try and make these. :D

birdie to be May 19, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

These look so petite & delicate. Perfect for a tea party. I love them.

OohLookBel May 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

The stencil idea is brilliant, as are these cookies. They're so delicate. I hope someone hears your plea for a puppy =)

Yi @ Yi Reservation May 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

Hope you'll feel better soon. I remember when I had my two wisdom teeth removed at the same time I was in pain for literally a week.

These almond cookies look awesome and Alice will make them soon!

Angela May 19, 2011 at 11:36 AM  

Those are beautiful. You deserve all of the cookies you want after having your wisdom teeth out.

sugarpuffi May 19, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

i always thought tuiles are hard to make! and why on earth r u making them when ur teeth is in painnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!! i need to get all 4 of mine removed >-<. on a scale of 1-10, how would u rate the pain?

Vivian - vxdollface May 19, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

Big HUG! I haven't had mine taken out.. not sure if I need to but I hope I don't :( sounds painful!

Ratatouille is my second most favourite movie in the whole wide world :D I really want to go to Paris, my sister went earlier this year and told me it was amazing.. and everything she ate was so delicious!!

hehe going to make these tuiles for my mama this weekend

Zoe May 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

All your tuiles are so perfectly shaped. Like your stencil idea!

Anonymous,  May 19, 2011 at 8:06 PM  

Vivienne, your pics as usual are gorgeous! I love how easy they seem to be to make, but how good they look! I want to make them, thanks for the post!

Joanne May 19, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

I thank god every day that I have all my wisdom teeth and that I plan on keeping them. All of them. So I do not envy you one bit! I detest dentists actually. Yuck! Hope you're feeling better soon!

These seem like the perfect snack and with the almonds, definitely a health food!

Von May 19, 2011 at 9:04 PM  

Oh no! I'm going to get all my wisdom teeth out one day too :( And I am NOT looking forward to it- especially after reading this! *sigh* These almond tuiles look really good though- I've been snacking a lot nowadays...maybe I should make a batch of these!

Maris (In Good Taste) May 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM  

I hope you are feeling all better now. Those cookies could certainly cure any ills! They are gorgeous!

Jeannie May 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

Ahh I was wondering how you get your tuiles to be so evenly rounded until I saw that photo:D Great look snack!

That's Ron May 19, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

very nice... great idea in making it round

Food Glorious Food! May 20, 2011 at 12:12 AM  

Your tuiles are so perfect! I can't really bake them right.. always burnt at the edges... Hmmmmm

Anonymous,  May 20, 2011 at 1:07 AM  

Viv, these definitely put a smile on my face. They are beautiful. I hope you are feeling better. Happy to hear from you!

Jayanthy Kumaran May 20, 2011 at 2:19 AM  

wow...I adore these..! looks delicious..:P
first time here..gorgeous space you have..great clicks..love your presentation..
Am your happy follower now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..

Tasty Appetite
Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

girls who like to gorge May 20, 2011 at 4:06 AM  

This looks great, and your food photography is lovely! xx

Culinary School: Three Semesters of Life, Learning, and Loss of Blood May 20, 2011 at 6:33 AM  

How elegant. Something else, other than shortbread, to have with tea.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart May 20, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

Oh, I remember those extractions from my own youth and also my children. Ouch! Hope you are all better now!

Thank you for the very sweet link back :) You are so thoughtful!

The treats are one of the prettiest I have ever seen. So dainty. Perfect with a cup of tea.

Yes, I did smile today. And, I am smiling right now :)

Lisa @ Tarte du Jour May 20, 2011 at 11:39 AM  

Your tuilles took my breath away... lovely photo! Makes me want to have a nibble and take a sip. Je t'aime Paris aussi!

Anna May 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM  

Simple and elegant :) Just lovely...

Maria May 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

They look so perfect Vivienne!

Erika Beth, the Messy Chef May 21, 2011 at 5:36 AM  

How lovely! And the stencil idea is so smart!

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! May 21, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

These look absolutely perfect! Awww I am so excited about my trip to Paris soon too! =) Hope that all your pain goes away sooner than later.

Aizi May 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM  

beautiful tuilles... hope you re feeling better? i remember when my 'wisdom' teeth got pulled, i was left with a swollen cheek for two days! yikes!
take care ;-)

chopinandmysaucepan May 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM  

Your almond tuiles look great. Random thoughts might spark new receipes too :)

Lori May 23, 2011 at 9:24 AM  

These are so delicate and beautiful. Perfect, yet each one is a little different. I completely agree with your list of things that take the breath away.

Karen May 24, 2011 at 3:29 AM  

These look so wonderfully delicate! Beautiful. Hope you're feeling better soon - I've been delaying getting my wisdom teeth removed (all four, yikes) forever, because I am such a chicken. :-(

Juliana May 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Vivienne, your almond cookies look so pretty and elegant, love how you used the stencil. Beautifully done. Have a wonderful week ahead :-)

Bizzy June 13, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

I love your blog. I have been sitting here, checking out recipe after recipe and I want to make everything. Would you be so kind as to link this up with Bake With Bizzy?

http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/06/baking-with-bizzy-4.html

Gee, you have so many good baked goods, you could link them all up. Don't panic. I will come back for the others. Thanks.

Anonymous,  July 26, 2022 at 11:45 AM  

look at this web-site Dolabuy Chloe visit the website gucci replica official statement dolabuy replica

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP